Saturday, September 4, 2021

" PAST " 1959 FATHER CON DONOVAN BUILT A CHURCH

 

Interior of Saint Peter Chanel Church Berala N.S.W.
The main jewel in Father Con Donovan's
huge Parish building crown
(Photo Parish Website)


My recent intrusion into some minor storage areas produced a small cache of old photos which have inspired many memories. Not the least of these were some taken on the 15th March, 1959, when the then Archbishop of Sydney Norman Thomas Cardinal Gilroy Blessed and opened our new Parish Church.
 
 
Cardinal Gilroy Blesses the outside of the new church

But the real star of the day, we all knew in our hearts was the big , but shy, Irishman our devoted longtime hard-working Parish Priest Father Cornelius ("Con"to his brother Priests) Donovan.  He had led the Parish since July, 1938 - in his first 12 years living in a room of the Regent's Park Hotel owned by Parishioners.He had approval (dating from before his arrival) to build a Presbytery. But he saw the rapid growth of the Parish school as more important , and so he set about the building of the Church-School in which I  began my education in 1946.

As you will see , the church is light , for Father Con did not like dark churches. But most of all, it keeps the focus on Our Lord Jesus Christ truly present in the Tabernacle. The same Jesus Christ young Con Donovan had given his life to at his Ordination to the Priesthood on 15th June, 1924 at All Hallows Seminary back in Ireland. Within months he departed for Australia, arriving on Melbourne Cup Day, 1924. He must have wondered what he had gotten himself into! Father Donovan worked well into his old age but finally succumbed to illness and had to move to a Retirement Home at Randwick where he died at age 78 yrs on 30th December,1975. 


 

The new church was modern in style and straightforward like its parishioners.
The old Parish Hall can be seen to the left. Note the many Children of Mary still
evidence.



The rear view is reasonably impressive, with the ship like section housing the Sanctuary.
The grassed school play area to the left of the path ,just about where the black car is,is the place where, in about 1948, I dropped the box containing the Mass Kit when I was carrying it to the Presbytery (even then, I was a "trustie"). I thought it had not been noticed...but a week or so later, Father Donovan asked me if anything had happened when I carried the Box for him.I confessed. "Oh. That's alright..don't worry...there was a small dent in the Chalice....but I have had it fixed" No reprimand- just a big generous and kind smile.


The church had cost 52,000 Pounds ($104,000) . The same amount would barely build half of a cottage to-day.

Two more images of a fondly remembered Parish life are shown below featuring once again Cardinal Gilroy who was kept busy opening extensive Parish plant additions. I cannot precisely recall the occasion, but they probably were taken at the Blessing of the Foundation Stone of the new Parish Hall or School  or new Convent extensions.
 
Cardinal Gilroy back to Berala again and a
smiling,happy Father Con Donovan leads him along
In this picture the Sanctuary of the Church/School in which I received my Primary Schooling
 is behind the lady on the left holding a baby and the Sacristy has the window behind father's head.
Cardinal Gilroy with Father Con Donovan and on the left young Father John Doherty (an RAAF Chaplain and Assistant Priest (with his back to the camera) ,  the other Priest to Fr Doherty's right may have been the Cardinal's Secretary).Note the Altar Boys properly attired in  red soutanes and wearing surplices. I have a photo of Father with Thirty Three Altar Boys - all properly outfitted! He almost rivalled the heroic Father John O'Neill of Doonside who has I believe 36 Servi Christi!
The old Parish Hall in the background had originally stood on land in Fourth Avenue immediately behind my Grandma Dixons home at 34 Third Avenue', Berala . It was moved up the hill to this location on a trailer dragged by draught horses in  1923. My father had his schooling in it, in its original location. My Brother had his Primary Schooling in it, in the new location.And lastly I had my First Holy Communion celebratory Breakfast in it along with my Classmates.
 


 

       
 
 
 
"And so we say farewell" to Saint Peter Chanel Church Berala, with this picture showing the Presbytery in which I met with Father Donovan to request his recommendation for my 1957 entry into the Minor Seminary.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment