Wednesday, January 19, 2022

" PAST " HAIL GLORIOUS SAINT PATRICK! BELOVED OF AUSTRALIAN CATHOLICS







SAINT PATRICK
Australia is a great beneficiary of the work of the spiritual sons of Saint Patrick, the heroic Catholic Priests and people of Ireland. It is the greatest Heritage anyone could have - the Catholic Faith given to us by Christ Our Lord.

Here from the "Breastplate of Saint Patrick"is my preferred translation of the well known prayer of Saint Patrick :


Rising I thank You, mighty and strong One

King of Creation, giver of rest.

Firmly confessing threeness of Persons

Oneness of Godhead, Trinity blest.



This day God gives me strength of high heaven

Sun and moon shining, flame in my hearth

Flashing of lightning, wind in its swiftness

Deeps of the ocean, firmness of earth.



This day God sends me Strength as my guardian

Might to uphold me, Wisdom as guide.

Your eyes are watchful, Your ears are listening

Your lips are speaking, Friend at my side.



God’s way is my way, God’s shield is round me

God’s host defends me, saving from ill.

Angels of heaven drive from me always

All that would harm me, stand at my side.



Christ be beside me, Christ be before me.

Christ be behind me King of my heart.

Christ be within me, Christ be below me.

Christ be above me Never to part.



Christ on my right hand, Christ on my left hand.

Christ all around me Shield in the strife.

Christ in my sleeping, Christ in my sitting.

Christ in my rising Light of my life.



Christ be in all hearts Thinking about me.

Christ be on all tongues Telling of me.

Christ be the vision In eyes that see me,

In ears that hear me Christ ever be.



Rising I thank You, mighty and strong One

King of Creation, giver of rest.

Firmly confessing threeness of Persons

Oneness of Godhead, Trinity blest.



This great prayer and hymn, is densely packed with teaching and expressions of faith and hope and love. In these lines alone, if they were universally applied, the whole world would perfectly express our Faith:

Christ be in all hearts Thinking about me.
Christ be on all tongues Telling of me.
Christ be the vision In eyes that see me,
In ears that hear me Christ ever be.

We pray to our dear Saint Patrick  to intercede for us,so that we might receive the grace to live out the intent of those last two lines.
How beautifully, imaginatively and joyfully the Irish perfect the use of the English language! Have a great day and after your prayer - celebrate Saint Patrick and Ireland!


TONY DIXON

No comments:

Post a Comment